Why and Where Mould Grows Indoors

Why and Where Mould Grows Indoors

Mould is a naturally occurring fungus found in moist environments. It usually appears spotty and smells musty; however, it can come in various forms—some more dangerous than others. Unfortunately, mould is not always easy to detect without a scent. After all, it commonly sprouts in places you cannot see:

  • Drywall (not the side facing inward);
  • Framing;
  • Carpet underside;
  • Storage (i.e. cardboard boxes);
  • Kitchen and bathroom tiles, cabinets and flooring.

Anywhere in your home exposed to excess moisture is at risk of fungal growth, a reason why proper ventilation and dehumidifiers are essential. Acknowledging as much, consider how the following contributes to moisture in the home:

  • Showering, bathing, cooking and washing;
  • Leaks in the foundation, flooring, walls and roof;
  • Plumbing problems;
  • Interior condensation from poor heat regulation;
  • Weather conditions.

Indoor Mould and Your Health

Mould can cause an array of respiratory problems. The severity of said problems depends on how much mould is present in the home and for how long it’s been there. Your own respiratory health also plays a role—if you already suffer from breathing difficulties, mould will exacerbate the symptoms. Likewise, children and elderly are more susceptible to respiratory damage.

If you detect mould in your home, consult a physician immediately and call a professional to fully remove it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *